Friday, February 24, 2012

Cutting back the Pampas Grass for next summer's growth

Well it is February 19 and here in the Ozarks of Missouri it is 48°F (9°C).  So today I am cutting back the Pampas Grass.  This is a project I should have taken care of in the fall as a part of preparing my rural property for the fall fire season. 











Things you will need: Medium weight rope, Twine, Scissors
and a Chain Saw.

 
                                  
The first thing I do is to tie the grass into a tight bundle with the medium weight rope











Next I take the twine and re-tie the bundle of grass.  You may want to tie the bundle in a few places. This will help you with keeping the grass in a bundle and not fall apart should you mistakenly cut the twine when cutting with the saw.  Remove the rope. 

 








Using your chain saw, cut the bundle of grass off.   Leaving about 8 - 12 inches of stubble.  






Some people will burn off the “stump” of stubble, but I will need to wait until the winds are correct before I burn.


Finished!!!
Photos taken by Sarah 

Earlier I talked about doing this project in fall as a part of preparing my rural property for the fall fire season here in the Ozarks.  If you live near forested lands or in rural areas where your neighbors burn off their forest or pastures you will want to make sure you clear away things like Pampas Grass and dead leaves from around our home.  Go on-line to http://www.firewise.org/ to learn more about building a “Defensible Space” around your home so you don’t lose your home to a wild land fire. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey I have pictures of David's Container Garden, where do you want me to send them thru? here or facebook or email?

    ReplyDelete